The recipe below was provided with permission by Miriam of Mouthwatering Vegan Recipes. Be sure to visit www.mouthwateringvegan.com for more great vegan recipes! Golden Vegan Pancakes with Cappuccino and Coconut Topping
Recipe by Mouthwatering Vegan Recipes
A rich yet light pancake. I have made many versions, but this is by far the best – it’s got a crunch about it, it’s got a beautiful golden colour to it, it’s light in texture, yet rich in flavour, it’s better than egg pancakes I used to make and I am so excited to introduce you to the best vegan pancakes around (I have included a gluten free recipe here too – by substituting the flours below). Enjoy ! Tip/Note:- consistency preference of pancakes is personal, so add more milk if you wish – and always try a small baby pancake test first, the size of a tablespoon to check your own preference. The ones in this recipe make for a thick-ish batter, but the consistency of the resultant cooked pancake in this recipe is awesome. Makes 6 to 8 pancakes (depending on the size you make them)
INGREDIENTS FOR PANCAKES
150g (5.3 oz) self raising flour 150g (5.3 oz) plain unbleached flour A pinch of salt 1 tsp baking powder 400ml soya milk, or other vegan milk of your choice – (use more if necessary to get the consistency that you prefer) 2 Tbsp stevia, or other sweetener 50 ml melted coconut oil Also some extra coconut oil (around a teaspoon) for frying them
Gluten Free Pancakes :-
For a Gluten Free Version substitute the above flours with the following ones and continue to follow the recipe as normal :-
100 grams of gluten free ground oats (place the whole oats in a food processor and process until they are well ground)
100 grams Cornstarch
50 grams of brown rice flour
50 grams of almond flour (ground almond)
See Method below for preparing them.METHOD FOR PANCAKES
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the pancakes, and heat a little (extra) coconut oil in a large frying pan.
- Using a soup ladle, pour in some of the batter, and swirl it around so that it evens out – it’s up to you what size to make.
- Check the pancake edges – once you see them golden and set, carefully flip it on to the other side. Leave it go golden for a minute or two, and then remove.
- Serve immediately, or store one on top of the other with greaseproof paper in between each one – you may re-heat them slightly in a hot oven before serving the topping.
- Top with maple syrup, a dollop of coconut cream, and a cappuccino cream.
INGREDIENTS FOR CAPPUCCINO CREAM
1 cup pre-soaked raw cashews, drained 1 cup (250 mL) cold water 2 tsp ground coffee 1 Tbsp molasses, or other sweetener of your choice.
- Place the nuts and the water in a blender, and blend until totally smooth. Then add the remaining ingredients, and whisk for a minute or two.
- Taste for sweetness, then pour into a pouring jug, and pour a circle or two of it on your hot pancake.
- Spoon a dollop of coconut cream on the top and drizzle on the maple syrup.
- Serve and Enjoy !
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out more from Miriam Sorrell on Amazon.